Our Annual Leadership Summit from 3 – 7 July 2017, at Protea Hotel Technopark, was the highlight of our scholars’ year to date. With both learners and students in attendance, we had 158 future leaders ready to enhance their leadership styles, refine their leadership values and enjoy time with their fellow MAD Leadership Foundation scholars.
Through the week we engaged our scholars with industry leaders, challenging dialogue and topical conversations. With keynote speakers such as our Founding Chairman – Francois Pienaar, Dr Mamphela Ramphele, Lynette Francis, Rapelang Rabana, Mondli Makhanya and Carel Nolte; the theme of the summit was brought to life.
The theme of the 2017 Annual Leadership Summit was “Communication in a Leadership Context”, facilitated by our leadership experts:
Russell Raath: President of Kotter Consulting and a Member of the Senior Leadership Team at Kotter International.
Rudi Buys: Dean of Humanities at Cornerstone Institute & consultant in youth development, higher education management and activism for reconciliation and transformation in higher education.
Our keynote speakers challenged our scholars to think critically about their responsibility as leaders through relevant topics listed below.
- Mondli Makhanya (Editor-in-Chief of City Press): “The art of communication is the language of leadership” – as an editor, what are the values you portray, the decisions you make and the people you meet along the way that will change your life and perception of others.
- Aletta Rochat (South Africa’s First Certified World Class Speaking Coach): “I refuse to sit at home and gather dust” – how do you timeously prepare and present speeches effectively and with confidence, ensuring you relate to your audience.
- Carel Nolte (Founder of CN&CO): “Social media gives you a platform to make a difference” – how can you use the power of social media to give back and be brave enough to start a conversation that matters.
- Dr Mamphela Ramphele (Activist, medical doctor, academic, businesswoman & political thinker): “Citizenship is about being the co-owner of a country” – how can we re-imagine South Africa and encourage inter-generational conversations to heal the divisions of the past.
- Rapelang Rabana (Founder & CEO Rekindle Learning, Executive Director Nisela Capital, Young Global Leader – World Economic Forum): “Teach a man to fish, and he can feed himself for a lifetime. Teach a man the internet, and he can change his life” – how anchored are you in your non-negotiables to focus you on your bold goals, to live with intentionality and to create your value.
- Lynette Francis (Trained journalist and currently presents and produces the daily news and actuality talk show Praat Saam on RSG and anchors Fokus on SABC 2): “I see you” – invest in yourself and a better you, don’t be afraid to tell your story because your story can change lives.
- Francois Pienaar: “When you lead, look for greatness in people, they will lead the way” – what is your moral compass as a leader, how will you influence critical thinking for growth and how do you ensure that you practice what you preach.
Thank you to the following sponsors, guest speakers, partners, facilitators and all the generous individuals who contributed to the success of our 2017 Leadership Summit:
- Aletta Rochat
- Andrew Gorman Photography
- Arizona Spur Eikestad
- Carel Nolte
- Dr Mamphela Ramphele
- Francois Pienaar
- Jacques le Sueur
- Lynette Francis
- Marc Wyllie Productions
- Meridian Wine Merchants (guest speaker gifts)
- Mondli Makhanya
- PR Lab
- Protea Hotel Technopark
- Rapelang Rabana
- Rudi Buys
- Russell Raath
- Ster Kinekor
- Studico Video Productions
- Tiber Bonvec Construction
View all the images here.